Sunday 9 October 2016

Now I know what a sunrise really is!

If you had asked me before today, I would have said 'yes, I've seen sunrises, lots of them'. Now I would say 'today, I saw my first full sunrise'. Of course I have seen the warm glow of sunrise on parts of the fells, but early this morning we drove around to the East side of the lake and joined the overnight fishermen on the lake shore. We set up our camera gear as we have done several times before, there was a warmth in the light and I liked the photos I was getting. Then, the sky started to go a little red and then the top most peaks started to glow brightly and the glow slowly covered the whole range of the Coniston fells in a most amazing glow. It started at about 07:40 and by 07:50 it was all over, leaving us almost stunned by what we had witnessed and with cameras full of exciting images.


It was quite dark when we arrived and we took one or two photographs to test the light.

Looking across the lake to The Boating Centre and Bluebird Cafe before sunrise.

Then a hint of red started to appear in the sky.

And the top most peaks of the mountains began to glow...

And the glow began to spread across the whole range.

What a sight!

Dow Crag and The Old Man.

Wetherlam

Great How and Swirl How.
The glow began to fade and in a matter of minutes the light had changed completely. The whole episode lasted little more than five minutes. We were left with a real buzz, having witnessed something quite extraordinary but at the same time common place. The sun rises every day and very often it will do so in a way that produces a light show like this. but never before have I been in a place with such a grandstand view of proceedings, bu it won't be the last. Not now that i know what a 'real' sunrise looks like.

No comments: